The Community Development Foundation Western Cape is a non- government volunteer-driven, charitable organisation that aims to strengthen its geographically defined community – the Western Cape – by facilitating philanthropy. Its unique approach is to partner with donors through designated funds or defined-interest funds to build permanent endowments which are used to support community projects.
To ensure that ordinary people living in the Western Cape are provided the opportunity to identify their potential, set appropriate goals and achieve extraordinary dreams.
To improve the quality of life, strengthen the common good and address the most challenging social concerns of people living in the Western Cape. We do this by raising funds and identifying opportunities that link donors’ interest to community needs and aspirations, while at all times requiring full accountability from all stakeholders on an even-handed keel.
The strategic objectives of the Community Development Foundation Western Cape, aligned to the millennium development goals, are to bring resources closer to communities by working together with marginalised communities and community based organisations in the critical areas of need.
These strategic objectives are:
- To distribute the income derived from our endowed funds to achieve community and donor (corporate or individual) social responsibility objectives.
- To support, nurture and encourage community-based organisations which are both capable and show the commitment to carry out community services compatible with the ethos, vision and mission of the CDF Western Cape.
- To channel funds to designated groups, which have been identified as implementing critical poverty alleviation strategies, including but not limited to the following:
- Youth development – 10 to 18 age cohort
- HIV/AIDS prevention and support component
- Micro enterprises/job creation strategies
- Community Leadership development
- To promote and create a forum for open and free dialogue with community which will provide opportunities for learning and sharing and ultimately allow for timely, informed action on social matters that affect any and all segments of the community.
- To build community assets and seek opportunities to endow communities with new leadership and opportunities; i.e. YouthBank and Children’s Healing Centre.
- To evaluate our programmes at regular intervals and share results with our donors, stakeholders and members of the community.
- To carry out relevant research.
- To apply and implement the millennium development goals as appropriate in our projects and endeavours.
- We have hope, and will create hope in the people with whom we work.
- We embrace the spiritual well-being of all people and promote the achievement of their full potential.
- We value partnerships with people and organisations that have a committed interest in the community; all such partnerships will encompass mutual respect, transparency, accountability and integrity.
- We foster, embody and celebrate diversity and strive towards equality.
- We seek the involvement and contributions of the people we aspire to serve.
- We require compassion, generosity of spirit, inclusiveness, respect and shared learning in all we do and in those organisations with who work.